GUADALCANAL, THE ISLAND OF DEATH. --New 3-hour DVD Video. From this story of mistakes and heroism would rise the genesis of American land, sea and air strategy for the rest of the war in the Pacific.
GUADALCANAL, THE ISLAND OF DEATH. --New Video DVD format -- Contains Combat Veteran Interviews and footage from The National Archives. In the summer of 1942, America was still reeling from the attack on Pearl Harbor and the humiliating victories of the Japanese throughout the Far East. Then came the battles of the Coral Sea and the pivotal Battle for Midway. Japan had been effectively countered and it was time to launch an attack. The first landing of American forces on a Japanese held island would occur on Guadalcanal, August, 7, 1942. This was the opening of a six month campaign to wrest control of the lower Solomon Islands from the Japanese Empire. From this story of mistakes and heroism would rise the genesis of American land, sea and air strategy for the rest of the war in the Pacific.
3. First Offensive
4. The Battle Of Savo Island
5. First Days Ashore
6. The Tenaru
7. The Battle Of The Eastern Solomons
8. Boredom & Fear
9. The Battle Of Edson's Ridge
10. Matanikau River Actions
11. The Battle Of Cape Esperance
13. The Battle For Henderson Field
14. The Battle Of The Santa Cruz Islands
15. Actions at Point Cruz & Koli Point
16. The Naval Battle Of Guadalcanal
17. The Second Naval Battle Of Guadalcanal
18. The Final Push.